January 1, 1944
The Municipal District of Argyle No. 100 formed by a merger of MDs of Argyle No. 99, Part of MD of Clear Lake No. 129, Improvement District No. 100 and part of ID No. 130.
April 1, 1945
The Municipal District of Argyle No. 100 renumbered to No. 26.
January 1, 1954
The Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26 formed by a merger of MD of Argyle No. 26, parts of MDs of Pincher Creek No. 9, Bright No. 16, Barons No. 25, Highwood No. 31 and Turner Valley No. 32 and part of ID No. 27.
The MD of Willow Creek has an internationally renowned history. The Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump, northwest of Fort Macleod, is one of fewer than 200 World Heritage Sites, while the northwest Mounted Police Museum celebrates the history of those early lawmen that stifled the whiskey trade by establishing one of their main strongholds at Fort Macleod. Many famous Albertans who have lived in Willow Creek among them A.E. Cross, who helped found the Calgary Stampede, Louise Crummy McKinney, from Granum, was one of the "Famous Five" and the first female elected to a legislature in the British Empire. Sir Alexander Staveley Hill, a British politician, owned the Oxley Ranch and the Town of Stavely was later named for him, albeit with a spelling change. The MD of Willow Creek can boast many accomplishments since its incorporation in 1954, not the least of which was the opening of its new municipal administration building in Alberta's centennial year, 2005. The council and administration remain dedicated to encouraging the growth of Willow Creek while preserving their cultural and historical treasures and providing a safe environment for their citizens.
June 7, 1995
The flood was a 1 in 1000 year flood, which was caused by a tremendous amount of rain in the mountains that fell in a short period of time combined with a melting snowpack. As a result, it created the worst flood on record in Southern Alberta.
December 14, 1997
On December 14, 1997, at approximately 11:10 a.m. a fire ignited in The Municipal District of Pincher Creek which would ultimately spread into The Municipal District of Willow Creek No. 26 and consumed an area in excess of 50,000 acres. Environmental conditions at the time, combined with topography and geographical locations, made the fire virtually uncontrollable. The following are some of the losses: livestock, four homes including contents, corrals, fences, equipment, feed and bedding, winter pasture and buildings suffered severe smoke damage.
Abnormal and extremely low precipitation through the late summer and fall and abnormally warm conditions with considerable amounts of wind in the weeks preceding the fire resulted in desiccation of the grasses and stubble. Absence of soil moisture or frost, lack of snow accumulation or drifts to slow the progress of the fire, and geographical isolation from fire fighting equipment and volunteers, limited access and to complicate things further it was fanned by extremely strong southwest winds.
There were approximately 17,645 hectares of grassland and 4,208 hectares of cultivated land affected. Production has been set back for a number of years and soil erosion was severe.
Many towns, counties, municipalities, fire departments, and ambulance services and colonies from across Southern Alberta were dispatched to help fight the fire, supply meals, medical care, etc. A volunteer group set up a donation program to help the fire victims, which included cash, livestock supplies, and household items.
June 7, 2005
Marks the ten year anniversary of the 1995 flood. As a result of a great deal of rain many rivers peaked and dams broke causing flooding once again.
In both floods many towns, cities, residences and businesses were affected throughout Southern Alberta. Group efforts were made to help save animals, equipment, drinking and sewer supply facilities, etc. This had a great impact on the M.D. of Willow Creek, Waterton River, Belly River, and Lyndon Road.